Monday, April 27, 2015

5 Excuses People Use Not To Learn an Instrument

It has been so long since I started learning the guitar that it takes a minute for me to remember what it was like. I was so awed by a youth minister at my church. I was too young to actually be in the youth, but I bothered him so much that he showed me three chords and let me practice on one of his guitars. Soon I bothered my parents enough to fix up an old guitar enough for me to mess around at home, and the rest they say is history. I made so much noise on that old, junk guitar that my folks decided that i needed a better instrument. I got my first real six-string when I was about 12 after about a year and a half of beating on an old box (at least that is what it sounded like) that looked somewhat like a guitar. Even though there wasn't much music but it was one of the best investment of time I've ever made. Still there are people who want to learn, but talk themselves out of it. There are several reason people use, but what I hear most often is...

I don't have enough time

Learning to play an instrument take a lot of time. People are intimidated by the commitment they have to make. After just a small amount of instruction, it can seem like so much time has to go into something like this that it would occupy your entire life. They aren't far off. There are people who have basically devoted their lives to playing an instrument. Oddly enough, they are either bums or millionaires. What I tell my students is that five minutes of quality practice everyday is better that half an hour once a week. For anyone willing to learn, but are afraid of not having the time, your don't need hours of practice a day. You need a small amount of time that you can focus on your instrument and do it everyday. It will amaze you how fast your progress.

It Is Too Hard

Many people get frustrated when learning anything new. It is always a challenge, but challenges are what make learning satisfying. Say that learning to play is hard or difficult is like saying the sky is blue. Everyone has to put in the time and effort. Some have an unfair amount of talent. Their time and effort are less. More often it takes many hours of practice and repetition. When a student tells me that something is too hard, I tell them  that something may take more effort, but everything can be mastered.

Too Old to Learn

Many people believe you can't teach an old dog new tricks. That might be true, but I've seen old people learn the guitar, so it is never too late to learn. I've personally taught a lady that was well into her retirement years that had taught herself a great deal even before seeking lessons. It is harder however for most adult to learn a new skill. Our schedules are full of things that rightly take priority over playing music. Its difficult to find the time needed to learn a skill that require all of you focus. Steady practice and a little discipline can go a long way to achieving your goal.

It is Too expensive

Learning music does come with a cost. If there is no one that can offer an instrument at little or no cost to you, then you are forced to acquire one on your own. The time and practice that you need can hardly be accomplished by borrowing a friends, or occasionally playing an instrument. lucky there are many retailers that offer affordable options. You can learn many instruments with less than a hundred dollar investment. Others, for instance the drum kit, can cost a few hundred to get started. I often try to aid students in search of affordable instruments by finding reasonable used instruments. This can allow someone to afford a quality instrument for considerably less.

Too confusing

To anyone who in unaccustomed to reading music, written music is terribly confusing. There are shapes and signs that don't mean anything to someone outside of music. I often explain that music is its own langue. In many ways, it is. It may only have seven letters, but what one can do with those is astounding. Understanding the very basics of this langue is steep task and mastering it can take a lifetime. No wonder there are those that are intimidated by the very sight of written music. Funny shapes on lines with symbols that seem arbitrary is a lot to process. Just like learning the langue that we speak from day to day, everyone has to start with the building blocks and slowly move forward. No one learned to read before learning the alphabet. The only way to learn music is by breaking it down to its most basic elements and building from there.

Music is a challenging and rewarding endeavor that many find to be fulfilling. There is a journey awaiting anyone who is willing to commit and learn a musical instrument. Music is present in nearly facet of our lives. From the stores where we shop, to our cars and our homes, music plays in the background. Music can open doors and lead you on adventure. To those that make music, it can be a life changing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment