Saturday, April 2, 2016

Ugly Truth: Jet City JCA2212C Combo

I've been preoccupied, lately, on the idea of adding to be amp collection. But what to add to it. I was browsing recently, and noticed this combo on a decent sale. Which raised the question, is it worth it? I wanted to try it out. So, at my earliest convince, I gave a fair amount of time to the combo in question. I've been please with the Jet City Buffered Line Driver. It, in my opinion, is a match made in heaven for a Vox AC15. But what about the amps? They are designed by Soldano. I've never played a Soldano. But they sure are proud of their amps. So, Jet City makes amps at a fifth of the cost. And now someone has marked them down even more. Time to investigate. And investigate. I did...

They're Small

They are a 1X12. It is the same as a Fender Blues Jr. are Vox AC15, But it is smaller than either one of them. A compact cab is nothing to complain about, but with a closed back and straight forward cab, at any other angle than directly in front, it sounds small too. Not to say that it isn't loud. It's plenty loud. But it does come off as small. There is plenty of flexibility in the EQ section. The Low, Mid, and High controls give you more than enough room to play. The Mids are expressive and useful. The Highs pinpoint just the right frequencies to offset any muddiness. and the Lows are powerful without being too muddy. But all this relies on you point of reference. Off to the side and this cab losses a lot of it's appeal.

They're Light

Moving the combo around was a breeze. In fact, I moved it about without even trying. Most other units take a little heft to get it to move from here to there, but not this combo. Quite a contrast to my Vox. Lighter than a Peavey Classic 15, this amp would be a ideal small gig/working man's rig. That is if it wasn't for the features. It is light on feature as well. I love the break up and gain on the amp. The Saturated tunes make this combo a delight. But as I fiddled, I couldn't find a clean tone. Hot pickups will send this unit into break up even at the lightest of settings. Single coils will clean it up to a degree, but you need to back off of either to get something close to 'clean'. You could try a different type of tube, but you'd be backing off the overall volume still, and this is a low wattage amp to begin with.

They are a little confusing

If you take a look at the selection of amps from Jet City, you are bound to be confused. There is a JCA Combo, Head and another option that has different features all together. I don't really know what to make of this expect that they are a little confused. I like they include effects loops, but the fact that there is not a master volume, or something that controls the gain enough to clean up the signal. But they seem like a one trick pony. I like the trick. But it is like a dirt pedal. It have a sound, it can be a good sound, but it only has the one. You could defend it by saying that you don't need a dirt box to send it into overdrive, although I'd like to option to engage when I like as opposed to 'on all the time' as it is now. Oh well. maybe if the price drops to a certain point it will be worth having a fun little amp like this.

Conclusion.

This amp is very fun to play, It has a few limitation... ok, I lot of limitations. This is not your 'Jack of all trades' kind of amp. But I don't think that it wants to be. It knows what it wants to do, and it does it. It gets nasty. It gets loud. You can have a lot of fun with this amp. But when it is all said and done, you'll still want your clean amp and your pedal board. I like Jet City, and I like the sounds this amp makes, but it doesn't make sense to add this amp to your collection unless you already have your fill on clean little combos. If you are looking for something out of the ordinary or different than your bandmates, then this amp might fill the bill. If you are looking for something of a more 'all around' nature then you should look elsewhere.



Support the blog by shopping on Amazon by using my link!


There should be an ad below:





2 comments: