Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Telecaster

Many years ago there was a man named Leo Fender. He was a man's man. He made things when his hands. There was a vast fascination with music and music in those days was live and acoustic. Any type us amplification of instrument was crude and mostly ineffective in a live setting. Loud volumes were accomplished by multiples of the same instrument playing the same note at the same time. The face of the modern "band" was changing and Leo was greatly aware.



The first guitar the Fender musical instrument company ever produced was called the esquire. The Shape and line are that of the present day telecaster. The instrument was a hit and many musician flocked the the sturdy, reliable, and cheap new instrument. The popularity gave Leo the latitude that he needed to move forward with the two pick-up version of the esquire, The Broadcaster. I know what your thinking. An Esquire with two pick-ups is a Telecaster. Well, the broadcaster's realise got a lot of attention, even the attention of the established Gretsch instruments. They already had trademark a line called Broadkaster. The claimed that the Broadcaster guitar infringed upon that. So the name was changed to "Telecaster".


So the Telecaster was born. Thank goodness, because I would have no idea what I would spend all my money on if it weren't for Leo Fender and his amazing instrument. But since the induction of the Telecaster there has been many models and changes made the guitar. The original Telecaster came with three saddle. The adjustable intonation was relative. Later model changed to six saddles for a more precise set-up. Many combinations of woods, and hollow bodied models have been produced. The Telecaster has worn just about every hat in the book, which adds to the reason I love this particular piece of gear. My Tele.

My First Telecaster was a standard model (made in Mexico) and I still play it. I've owed it over 12 years now. It has seen many places and has been through it all with me. I've replace pick-ups, input jacks, pots, wires, and strap buttons. Its been slung across a room and into a wall. I think toothpicks and wood-glue hold it together and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It still plays like a dream.

My next Tele was a gift from my wife. A Tele Deluxe. Double humbuckers in a Tele, its like awesomeness in awesomeness. I was given that guitar about a year ago now. It seems like a long time but it's just now getting broken in. It has gotten its first sticker (and that was a 6+ month process). Now its just a matter of time before I find the right gauge of string and peg the set-up.

My last Tele (actually belongs to my wife) is a Tele Custom with P-90's. I haven't really had that much to do with P-90 Pick-ups but I thought this would be a good way to learn, plus the guitar looked good and it was a Tele. When my wife picked it out at the store and told me she wanted it I just had to let her have it.

The Telecaster is an amazing instrument worthy of the praise given here, but it is far from the perfect guitar. I would rather play a Tele but other swear by there axes just I do mine. The best thing is to get out there and play them. See what feels right to you. I own, and have owned, many types of guitars and there's just no getting around it. I'm a Tele player.


Continue reading here...

No comments:

Post a Comment