Monday, August 24, 2015

The Ugly Truth: Vox Pathfinder 10

I took a trip to my local music store, as I do, and tried the wears. I also like to give the used gear a good look, because that tends to be interesting and affordable than the new stuff that fills the walls. So I grabbed a Jay Turser strat copy and when to test it out through an amp. I'm aware of the good-amp/bad-guitar paradox. A cheap guitar through a good amp will sound good, but a good guitar through a cheap amp will sounds "cheap". So I matched my budget guitar with a budget amp to see what a "typical" rig would sound like. I picked a Vox Pathfinder 10 (Union Jack themed) to run through.

It's just so dang pretty...


Notice this is not "The Ugly Truth about a Jay Turser Strat". The guitar was bulky and uncomfortable to play. (which is actually pretty though to be for a strat, one of the most comfortable and body conforming guitars on the market.)

The Looks

The Pathfinder 10 is about the size of a large lunch box and not much heavier. It doesn't impress anyone with its size. I've played several small "lunch box" amps: Yamaha, Pignose, ZT. Not to mention the small "practice" amps that most all major brand produce (think beginner package amp). This one is among the prettiest. The Union Jack in particular has caught my eye. The ivory tolex appeals to me evidently, since I also enjoy the look of my Palomino 15. The grill cloth is really fun too. The amp just looks like a British amp should, just a bit smaller. There is absolutely nothing ugly here, I just wanted to talk about how much I enjoy the looks of this amp. For an amp that is going to be hanging out in office or on top of a desk, this is rather important.

The Sounds

The worst thing about this amps is the small, boxy sound that they all intrinsically have. That is, except this one. Yes, it has a single 6.5" speaker, but you would never would have guessed. I played this amp for a considerable time, and after the shock of how nice this amp actually sounds, I tried to make that little 6.5 inch speaker get mushy on the low-end. I was able to do it, but not until getting rather abusive with it. The Vox "bull dog" speaker gets a lot of respect from me. I have another Vox combo with those speakers and they are just top-notch. The amp has two channels, Clean and Drive. The way they have put this amp together is super smart. You can play squeaky clean all the way to super saturated and when the gain in pegged on the clean channel, just roll it all the way back and switch to the drive and pick up where you left off. Its a simple concept and this amp has nailed it. The Treble and Bass knobs are extremely flexible.

The Size

Ok, so the looks and the sounds are pretty great for an amp that you can take as a carry-on. What is actually ugly about this amp is that it's nearly the biggest in the "under $100, micro-sized, multi-channel" category. It should be the best. What isn't flattering about this amp is the limitations. The optimum listening area, that all amps have, is small. There is little in the way of features. I'd like a speaker out (which is asking a lot from a 10 watt amp) for "amp stacking", and a foot switch out to change amp channels. Those two options would make this amp a steal even at the $90 they want for the dressed up Union Jack edition.

The Conclusion

I am impressed by this amp. It punches way above the $80 price tag of the plain-clothed version. If you like the sound of a chime-y, British amp and have need of a small desktop/bedroom amp, this is it. I haven't played anything else that rivals its value and sound. No build-in effects, no frills, just solid, straight-forward tone at a decent value. This amp is an Absolute win! (I just so happen to own one)

7 comments:

  1. can I use the Mole from electro harmonix on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I use the Mole from electro harmonix on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes pedals like a champ. The Vox Pathfinder 10 is hands-down the best amplifier in the under-$100 range (now that the Monoprice Stage Right 5W tube amp is $110 when it's not on sale), and one of the five best under $150.

      Delete
    2. Would you use it to record professional music?

      Delete
  3. I think your review nailed it. There is nothing fancy about this amp (I own two), just solid tone. It has some balls also - I registered 90dB and it wasn't maxed out. My neighbours were.

    As for pedals I have run overdrive, distortion, wah, reverb, phaser, chorus etc. With two amps the EHX Stereo Pulsar creates a swirling and spacy sound. The EHX Mel9 also likes the clean channel. Blast out Kashmir and see if you don't feel like a rock god in your own living room.

    Jeez I waffle on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the famous LED mod on it. You'll be impressed. I was.

    ReplyDelete