Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Best Deal on a Banjo has Been Found!


If you've been reading this blog (bless you) then you may know that this year I've resolved to learn new instruments this year. The banjo is one of the instrument that I want to learn. Those intrested in this instrument know that it can be a little daunting to choose the right instrument. First of all there are several types of banjo, but the most popular is the 5-string tenor banjo. Looking at many of the larger retailers, you'll see many options in the beginner range. there are options starting at around $150. Most of the banjos at this range have no resinator (the round wooden back piece that projects the sound forward). If your local music store is any thing like mine, then the banjos there are a little more cost prohibitive. Being a novice and on a tight budget limits my option.

Is there an option at the $150 mark that is suitable for a serious beginner? Absolutly, and I'll share with you exactly where I found it. I found a retailer on eBay, but their prices are slightly less at there site (probably due to eBay fees. The site is Musicians Discount Warehouse I can't speak for anything other than the 24 Bracket Closed Back Jameson Banjo with Remo Head but what I've found really surprised me.

I'm sure that this banjo is imported for china or someplace simular. I'm am no stranger to these "value" instruments. I'm always on the look out for a great deal on any instrument. So, when I found this banjo that appeared to have all the features as other banjos costing 2 or 3 times the price. I was suspisious to say the least. When it arrived I was pleased to see that it was shipped in a double box and well packaged. It was well set-up out of the box. The bridge was well placed and after tuning the insturment was ready for action. I was planning on putting some time into adjusting things like head tention or bridge placement, but everything seemed to be in good working order. Next thing I instected was the fit and finish, and again, I was impressed. No noticable finsh flaw and all the fittings were snugg and well fitting. The only thing that I could complain about is that there a loose retaining screw for he resinator.

If you are concidering purchasing a banjo you should really consider the one linked about. I'm not sponcered by the retailer or brand or anything of the sort. I was just impressed by the value of the instrument that I received. I wouldn't call it a professional instrument and the appointment are not ornate. As far as a functional insturment, this banjo really shines. I have no doubt that I can learn on and use this instrument for my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment