Friday, June 19, 2015

The Ugly Truth About TC Electronic Rottweiler

Ever on the look out for pedals that are stellar, I was browsing in one of my local music stores and noticed a TC Electronic Rottweiler. TC Electronic is more known for their filter and modular effects, but they do have dirt boxes as well. I decided that I needed to give them a try. What I learned surprised me.





My set-up was a Fender Tele Deluxe, into the Rottweiler, to a Peavey Classic 50. The Deluxe and the Peavey tube amp was a great combo. Great American sounds came chiming out. Que the record scratch because when the Rottweiler was turned on, everything changed. Before engaging the pedal I tried to achieve the "on the edge" sound with the amp. No go. If I wanted to sit in front of the amp and not have my ears bleed that is. (even with a master volume) So on came the pedal. Distortion is an understatement. I'm not much of a Metal player, so I won't claim it's great for Metal, but the tones were there. I rolled the gain all the way back and there was still no sign of letting up. There was no sign of my original sound either. The tone and dynamics were completely hijacked. Like a dog with a bone, this pedal was carried away.

The Ugly: Not Transparent, Little Gain Control

The Pro: True Bypass, Solid Construction

The Conclusion: The Pedal doesn't share. The tend in pedal have been to mix clean signal in a mix with dirt, but this pedal didn't get the memo. If you want the Rottweiler to keep some of your guitar's tone in the mix, then you'll probably get bit.

2 comments:

  1. When it comes to getting something high tech like the Ditto
    where sound reproduction and problem solving is #1...get the TC
    But when it comes to acetic choices in actually changing the sound of your guitars voice. No! You can get any of a dozen made in China clones and Me Too's for $35.00 USD with free shipping etc. right to your door that are better.
    Check out Stomp Box Steals...reviews the best and gives you updated prices and the cheapest on-line stores that sell them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my rottweiler is making too much noise even with a boss ns2 what can be the reason.

    ReplyDelete