Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Ugly Truth About Playing Multiple Instruments

If you read any of my other posts, you probably know that I am a guitarist. Yes, I do play guitar and it is my main instrument, but if you are bad at context clues, let my let you in on a secrete: I play multiple instruments. I couldn't imagine not playing more than one instrument now, but there was a time that I did good just playing my six-string. Being able to throw-down on other instrument is great. I can rock out on other instruments and that's cool, but everything isn't as awesome as it may seem.



Each Instrument Add More Practice Time. 

Yes, I have a favorite instrument. obviously I play the guitar much more than the other instrument that I play. Although, if you don't use it, you lose it. So I have to keep up the other instruments that I want to continue to play. I currently have five instrument that I feel comfortable playing. Other instruments I am familiar with but not to the point were I could join other musicians with it. The first instrument that I added after the guitar was the drums. My friend asked if I wanted to join his band. I said, "Yes, I play guitar". He said, "Great, you can be our drummer." and that was how I learned how to play the drums. This started a passion for learning instrument that has yet to stop. I've since added Bass, Ukulele and Banjo to the list of instrument I am competent in. Each one of the instruments adds hours a practice to my routine. Being able to play these instruments is great, but it comes with work.

You Can Become The Back-up For Everyone. 

I'm not going to lie, I like being the guy that people call. It's like when Commissioner Gordon picks up the Bat-Phone. Except it's a cell phone and I don't get to punch crime in the face with a "Ka-POW!". Close enough though... It started out innocent enough. I wanted to help. I noticed that the bass player would be out occasionally so I offered to fill it. After all, I was lost in the mix playing acoustic behind two pianos. Bass seemed like a more significant addition. Being the guy that can fill in made me feel important. Even if I didn't play as well as the guys I filled in for.

You Probably Won't Be As Good As Someone Who Focuses On One Instrument

I know many people who play several instruments on an expert level. I'm not saying that you can't be good at more than one instrument, but there is a point where one instrument will be will win out and the others suffers. I could, rather easily rank my ability on the instrument that I play. In a since it's like riding a bike. I'll never forget how to play G, C, and D on the guitar, but how to play a D flat minor on banjo? It sort of like the conversation about having more than one child (which I do). Can you spend the same amount of time with both of them? The same amount of attention? (well this took a weird turn) The true is that it's hard to keep all those plate spinning, but sure is rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment