Monday, October 5, 2015

Fulltone OCD VS Joyo Ultimate Drive

From time to time I hear the comment that the Joyo Ultimate Drive is a clone of the Fulltone OCD pedal. Some have gone as far as to say that they are the same pedal with different paint jobs. This is a very enticing rumor. Would you like a $130 pedal for only $40? then just buy it from Joyo instead of Fulltone. I wanted to test this out for my self so I acquired both pedals are ran a simple test.




The Similarities




The pedals have similar layouts. Three knobs and a mini toggle. Everything seems to be in the same places. They both are light to medium gain pedals. They have similar soft clipping circuits, not to say they sound "the same", but one can tell that they both try to fill the same spot.




The Differences




The PCBs are not the same or even close. The UD has less mids and more gain. This might appeal to some. The OCD does a good job of cleaning up and being more transparent. I don't always like the more expensive pedals. I use a EHX Glove OD that "clones" the OCD (or does it copy the UD?) as well. This and EHX East River Drive (a TS-808 clone) are my main dirt pedals in my set up. The OCD is just a more tame-able pedal. There are good sounds in the UD. They are just harder to uncover (to my ears).




Conclusion




Both of these pedals are worth a look. If you are looking for a great gain pedal, then check both of these guys out. They have their own sounds and respond a little differ from one another, so take a little time to get to know them. They are endorsed by many, however I don't see my self giving up a spot on my board for either one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment