Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Boss Blues Driver VS Digitech Screamin' Blues

Earlier this year I was hanging out in guitar forums, go figure and I saw a thread about the Boss Blues Driver. There was some people discussing its merits and if they should buy one. A trusted source that reads schematics like children's books insisted that the Blues Drive and Digitech's Screamin' Blues overdrive was a direct copy of the BD-2. He even mentioned that some of the mods made famous by some, have been made mote by the addition of a Bass knob. This made Digitech's pedal look rather attractive. So, later, when I saw that MF had a Stupid Deal Of The Day where they sold the pedal for $30, I bought it. I do have a modded BD-2 so is the Screamin' Blues really its superior?

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver

The first time I ran across this pedal, I didn't like it. It seemed to make everything sound static-y. Running the tone past noon seemed to just make things thin. Running into a AC15, I couldn't get the two to jive. After chasing tone for a while, I came back around to the BD-2. I wanted to give it another go. Its application is legitimate. I do like it in some situations. I have a unit that is modded pretty heavily, mostly to increase the bass. Now the unit has a large, tight low-end. The pedal is a little bit of a sleeper, but usable.

The Digitech Screamin' Blues

Back to back these pedals sound very similar. When A/Bed The Digitech can match the stock BD-2 at every turn. With the more flexible tone section, the Screamin' Blues gets into other territories. It will get a little fatter sounds, and for the most part does a good just as adding bass without getting muddy. Is it the best sound Blues Drive pedal? No. It is flexible and usable. Unlike The BD-2, this pedal is usable out of the box. However, this pedal falls flat when you consider that it is difficult to mod and change if you wanted to. It also looks and feels cheaper. Digitech pedals don't hold up as well as Boss pedals do. Plus, they are a little wider, so make some room on your board.

Conclusion

Both of these pedals will give some nice tones. If you know how to tweak you tone, then I'm sure you'll find some setting that is pleasing. However, the best pedal just make you start changing your amp tone, but allow you to shape the pedals sound to compliment your amp. Stock, out of the box, I'd have to give the edge to the Digitech. However, I don't trust it. On the other hand, You can buy two for the price of one Blues Driver...

2 comments:

  1. I set up a nice crunch tone on my fender amp, then kick in the SB for leads with the level at 3/4, bass on 3 treble on 5 and gain on 5/6. Killer tone with my Les Paul’s ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes a kickass boost pedal (screaming blues)

    ReplyDelete