Sunday, March 27, 2022

The Ugly Truth About The Line 6 Catalyst Amp

 Something hit my attention in the last few days that I have’s been able to ignore. Line 6 has released a new budget priced modulating amp. No, it’s not the Spider VII, or whatever version they’re on now. It is a new model called the Catalyst. It is heavily influenced by the Boss Katana line of amps. If you are familiar with this blog, then you know I am a pretty big fan of the Katana amps. So is this a petty rip-off of the successful line of Boss amps, or is it a line of amps poised to dethrone the reigning champ of budget modeling amps.



Feature Set

I wont go into a exhaustive list of all the features, but it is safe to say, that they cover much of the Katana amps. You have your amp models, EQ, FXs, and Master controls. Out back you have DI out and FX loop (even on the smallest 60 watt version). You also get MIDI control on the larger units. Line 6 has done an amazing job with their modeling tech. The Helix line is impressive, so if there is any of that DNA in this amp, then I wouldn’t worry about any of the models or effect on-board.

Sounds

I haven’t had my hands on these amps. At the time of writing this, I don’t think they are actually on sell. However, I’ve listened to lengthy reviews and comparisons. I know that’s not saying much, but I do feel confident in saying that it holds its own. It isn’t a replacement for your boutique tube amp, but it would fair well as a bedroom or practice amp. I own and love my Katana 50, but the high gain sounds, I think, are just OK. If the Catalyst has a leg up on the Boss anywhere, It would be the High gain sounds. From the samples I’ve heard, the Catalyst shines with heaps of distortion. When compared to the Katana, the Catalyst thickens up, where the Katana can get a bit then. This may be attributed to the slightly larger enclosure of the Catalyst. However, there is a bit of mush/mud that can come with the higher gain settings.

Spider V Light?

So, Line 6 already has a budget modeling amp. In fact, they line has been going longer than I’ve played guitar. It is in its fifth edition. The Spider V was review rather harshly when it debuted several years ago. It was received as a luke-warm refresh to the previous generation with underwhelming performance. So, the Catalyst seems to be a descendant of the Spider, but with a striped down feature set that leaves the essentials and offers a real value proposition.

Conclusion

I’m really glad Line 6 has developed this amp. It is a no-brainer for just about anyone looking for an amp of this size. It covers a wide range of sound, and has a feature set longer than my arm. I also like that there is now real competition for the Katana. When there is competition, the customer wins. I think we will continue to see better and better amps in these lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment