Thursday, January 21, 2016

Ugly Truth About Getting Your Pedal Modded By JHS

If you are up on your pedal, then you are familiar with JHS pedals, they started offering a service to mod popular pedals for those that are so inclined. They started developing custom circuits and offering a line of pedals. Some of these pedals are very highly respected and sought after. I've been a DIY guy for the most part and have done many mods to Boss and Ibanez pedals, so I've never gone in for sending pedal off. Planning mods and tracking down parts has been a fond hobby for a long time, but this mod in particular seemed like a solid candidate. Now, on with the truth!

Here's what I got back form JHS




It's Uncomfortably Long Process

When dealing with send pedal through the mail, the worst part is the wait. Anyone who has order a piece of gear knows that it hard to wait. They have your money, you've made your decision, but you have days before you can play with your new piece of kit. Unlike an order from a retail web-store, The modding process is a service. So you mail your pedal, in this case, it took three days to arrive at JHS. Then they have to process your order in the order it was received. I was alerted that since I had mailed it just before the new year, then there would be a delay. The website stated that a typical order could take up to three weeks to process. So, I wasn't stoked. It ended up taking right up to the three week mark to receive my pedal, so according to the website, it was quite timely. If you were a active musician with gigs, then you would be out an important part of you rigs for weeks.

There A Hidden Fees

The enticing point of all of this mess is that you (yes, you!) can have a boutique-quality, professional-grade piece of gear for the price of a popular, mass-produced piece of gear. All you have to do is get these wizards to do their special brand of voodoo to it first. All for a nominal fee, of course. But that is to be expected. Nothing is free, but you probably already have one of the massively popular pedals that they offer a mod to, so its not like you are spending more money on your pedal, you are investing in an upgrade. So you come to accept the seemly exorbitant cost or changing a few part that total to a couple of dollars, but you rationalize it to yourself somehow. Then you come to find that they stick you with the cost of shipping it back to you. (not only that, but it's twice as much as you paid to ship it there...) In all I nearly doubled the price of my Soul Food, but it was all worth it, right?

It Might be worth it

Of course, I was excited to receive my pedal back from JHS. It just like getting new gear, expect that it was yours to begin with... So I spent a fair amount of time playing with my newly modded pedal, as I do, and I'm happy with it. That is, in the since that it was any worse than way I left it. Also the bass knob made a considerable difference when rolled all the way up. The switch that controls the clipping diodes made a very minute difference. I'm pleased with the changes made. I didn't have to lift a finger to do them, and everything looks great. 

Conclusion

Is it worth it to get your pedal modded by JHS. I think we already know the answer to that question. No. It is absolutely not worth it. Do I think that my $60 dollars (yes, all told I spent $60 on the mod plus shipping both ways) would have been better spent toward another pedal that already accomplished what I was trying to do the the original pedal. Unless it is directly related the the functionality of the pedal (like adding addition modes or settings) then a mod is mostly that special incantation that only those practitioners of the dark arts know. Or you know, google and soldering... 



Support the blog by shopping on Amazon by using my link!


There should be an ad below:





No comments:

Post a Comment