Monday, February 8, 2016

Boss BC-1X Bass Compressor

This year at NAMM we saw two of the biggest pedal makers, BOSS and EHX, put out Bass Compressors. If that seems a little strange to you, you are not alone. The bass player is often forgotten in the effect conversation. I've known many bass players to play with nothing other than a tuner on the 'pedal board'. So we now have practical tone tools debuting from two highly respected manufactures. The boss pedal seems to be the more sophisticated, but it is the hands down winner?

It's Shiny

Yes, it's pretty. Pearl British racing green is a nice color, and the chrome plate and knob make it standout among the other BOSS pedals. It also has a LED clipping indicator. This is all fun stuff, and makes it look... special. But there isn't really a big difference between this pedal and other BOSS pedals. It's still the same old BOSS box. Last year BOSS blew us away with the DD-500. The pedal seemed to be a new direction for box. But it looks like they are still getting more mileage out of that old 'soft touch' box.

Boss Has A Track-Record

So, I have really tried to like BOSS compressors. They were the first ones I've tried. I've tried the CS-3 and a Japan made CS-2. Both where underwhelming. They were very similar except that the CS-3 had some more flexibility. The Vintage mojo really wasn't there for me. Others swear by them... whatever. The Bass Comp might be head and shoulders above the other blue comps, who knows. As for me, I will have to give this a thorough run-through before fully embracing this fancy box.

It's High Dollar

Like I mentioned earlier. There were two Bass comps that were paraded around at NAMM this year. This one and the EHX Bass Preacher. The biggest difference between the two is the price. The Boss is twice the price of the EHX. Is it Twice as nice? I don't know, but it is sparklier.

Conclusion

Given our options with Bass Comps, it would take a lot for me to endorse this option. I am a Ross/Dyna comp guy. The Compressors that Boss have in their line have done less than impress me. The Soul Preacher is more my speed. The cost is another factor. It would have to beat the cheaper option hands-down to warrant such a cost. Yes, this pedal has some sparkle, but is that worth the extra cost? No... no it's not.



Support the blog by shopping on Amazon by using my link!


There should be an ad below:





No comments:

Post a Comment