Monday, February 22, 2016

Ugly Truth: Tom's Line Engineering Bluesy Vintage Overdrive

Weeks ago, I decided to splurge on some music gear. I've always seen the cheap pedals from china, but I hate buying something and waiting weeks for it to show up (if it shows up at all). Not to mention the poor customer service and quality control. I decided to roll the dice on these guys, I was able to put together an order for four pedals, all drives (go figure...) When they showed up, they were in a box very similar to the Outlaw Effect's. Included was a somewhat helpful foldout user manual and a piece of Velcro. Overall, it was polished and professional looking. So the packaging exceeded my expectations...(woopty-doo). We don't care about boxes, (unless you're like me and keep all the boxes your pedals come in) what does it sound like?

Using a P-90 equipped Telecaster, I put this pedal through a Vox Pathfinder 10 combo. My bedroom setup is modest, but it sounds great for it's size. Putting this pedal inline was a joy. I really liked the sounds that this pedal put out. There isn't a ton of gain in this pedal, but that should not be a surprise since it's described as a blues overdrive. There is a range of tones that please just about anyone (looking for a light overdrive). After testing out this pedal, I was able to run it into a Vox AC15 with both a Standard Tele and Deluxe Telecaster. These combos resulted in please sounds. The 'normal' and 'bright' settings came in handy, One to tame the spanky single coils and the other to brighten the split-coils in the deluxe. Whether you are finding a bluesy voice for you solid state amp or your looking for something to boost your tube amp into sweet breakup, this pedal can serve up some nice sounds. Listen to Shnobel:

But were aren't here to talk about the pretty things, Let's get ugly:

Let's Get The Obvious Out Of The Way

It's Chinese, It's Cheap, It's Tiny. All these things are scary. The last time I ordered a pedal from China, it was DOA. Thankfully, all these pedal came in working condition. The price I paid is not my concern. In fact, I thought that the price I paid was great. But it's the fact that I was able to buy a pedal for so little that makes me wonder about the quality of the guts. Ignorant of the insides, I do like the sounds. However, I hate tiny pedals. Why did I buy so many of them... They're cheap, that's why. I will say, it was smart to put the bar to protect the knobs. I've always thought they were in danger from people with heavy feet.

And That's It

I know this seems very favorable, but I really can't come up with anything more to complain about. It's a light overdrive that is flexible. It's cheap enough to bought with the change from your couch. It's not the fanciest pedal. It's a simple pedal that could fit on nearly any pedal board. If you watch that video above and scroll down so that you can't see the pedal and just listen, then you might just fool yourself into digging the tones that Mr. Shnobel is putting out.

Conclusion

Having said all those nice things, I probably won't be putting this on my board. My dislike for this tiny pedals and the wide range of low-medium gain pedal that I already have make it hard to find use for yet another. What I might do is put together a small 'travel size' pedal board. It could be fun to go through these little cheap pedals and put the good ones together on a board. Then putting that board against my main board. Not so much to see which one is 'better', but if you can put together tiny pedal to do most of the job of a typical-size board fill with 'full-sized' pedals.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, how does it compare with the original Marshall BLues Driver it is based on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a very long time since I played through an original Bluesbreaker pedal and I didn't own it at the time. I'd say it's very close from what I recall.
      I got the Bluesy recently and it's an absolute winner. I use both humbuckers and single coils and play with more vintage/classic style OD sounds.

      Delete
  2. Its based on the 90s marshall blues breaker, the black with blue lettering one. Check it out. Nice edge of breakup/chimey overdrive pedal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting assessment.
    i tried a whole bunch of these pedals, and have about 15 of them. almost every one is decent, size means absolutely nothing. i build effects and design them for a living, and its cheaper, easier, and lighter for me to have a secondary pedalboard with JUST these chinese mini's on it. way smaller, way lighter, and i've had only one problem, and that was a nano delay, half this size that arrived with issues. i contacted the vendor and had another one to replace it within a week.
    the fake klon is excellent. the modulation and reverbs pretty good too. the multi effects are solid, and the pitch shifter/harmonizers are based on a PLL and work great.
    1/2 the size of an MXR distortion plus.
    i weigh 400 freekin pounds, and if i can stomp on these bitches without breaking them, odds are just about anybody else can, too.
    are they perfect? nope. best bang for the buck on the market, and if something breaks, i can buy another cheaper than building it.
    some more ugly truth for ya. cool blog!
    peace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where is the like button? 😀

    ReplyDelete