Monday, April 4, 2016

Guitar World Magazine Will Stop Publishing Photos Of Half Naked Women

It's True. According to an interview with Reverb.com, Guitar Magazine with stop publishing their annual "swimsuit edition" buyers guides. Is this good news? Is this an Ugly Truth? Well, it's true and that's enough.

What This Means For Me

Being that I haven't bought a guitar magazine in years (even longer for a buyers guide) This doesn't really effect me all that much. I do remember back when I was a young guitar player growing up in a conservative home and being pretty straight laced. I felt a little embarrassed buying and reading a magazine with ladies in their fishnet stocking prominently displayed. At the time, the ladies where only a mild distraction. The major sin I committed holding that magazine was gear lust. I read and reread those pages. I memorized spec and descriptions. I imagined what it would be like to own those guitars. I wondered about the tonal varieties that the different materials could offer. Every adjective painted a word picture that was almost tangible. And then I discovered the internet and anything that these magazine could offer was just a few clicks away.

What This Means For You

Honestly the entire paragraph will be conjecture. So here goes: If you are a well adjusted human being, then you understand that the day are ogling women as they pose with whatever it is someone is selling have begun to wain. Even Playboy, the grandfather of the smutty magazine, has gone to non-naked ladies in their magazine. If you depended on a guitar magazine to realize your over-sexualized guitar imagery, then I'm sorry, you have one less option. Also, you might what to talk to someone about your feelings. Like a professional, you need to talk to a professional... a doctor... not the other kind of professional. You know what, if you take advice from a blog about guitar, then I honestly have no idea what you need. Anywho, There is another group of people that this decision can effect. Ladies. If you are a lady that is so inclined to pick up and read such a publication, then you no longer have to do so with examples of you own anatomy on every other page.

What This Means For Guitar World

In the interview linked above, the reasons sited where economical. I'm sure paying ladies to take most of their clothe off and taking pictures of them does not come cheap. Now they have just copy and paste from any music supply website and call it a day. So, it looks like a win-win. GW doesn't have to waste time and money on, what many see as, sexist content and we get a magazine that serves as a hard copy of what we already look at online. Well done. It only took decades to make that seemingly obvious decision. Good Job.



Support the blog by shopping on Amazon by using my link!


There should be an ad below:





No comments:

Post a Comment