Thursday, January 26, 2017

Ugly Guitar Truth: Digitech CabDryVR

Can I start off by saying how much I don't like the name of this pedal. The CabDryVR. No spaces. That's the way it is on the official Digitech site. It drives me crazy. I assumed it was pronounced 'Cab Driver', but really was unsure until I heard the Digitech rep at name say the name. I absolutely hate the way it is spelled. Saying that, I do, kind of, like the pun and color scheme of the pedal. This is one pedal you will not confuse with many others. On to the next bit...


It's A Thing

When I saw this pedal, the first thing I thought is that it is a turd. Just DOA. This pedal won't sell because no one is going to buy a pedal that is basically a blanket for your tone. They don't want a pedal to make their amp sound like it is run through a cab. And then I remembered my experience with the Marshall CODE and how it's cab sim really worked. Then I though about the stage applications of have a 4X12 sound come from a 1X12 Blues Jr...

Conclusion

The very first cab sim I ever encountered was a Digitech RP100. It sounded terrible, but there is hope yet. I've heard a cab sim do rather incredible things, so here's hoping that this little pedal has bottled the magic. Also, let me give a shout out to all those pedal running ampless rigs. Plugging straight into the mix creates some unique challenges and this pedal is probably a god sent to them.





Support the blog by shopping on Amazon by using my link!


There should be an ad below:





No comments:

Post a Comment