Monday, August 14, 2017

Ugly Guitar Truth: EHX Hot Wax Overdrive







Somehow, EHX was about to the keep the announcement of their new overdrive pedal a secret from me for the last few weeks. They have produced a new dual overdrive pedal that has taken me by surprise. The Hot Wax is not at all what I expected for Electro Harmonix. As it is explained by EHX, the Hot Wax overdrive is basically the Hot Tubes overdrive mated with the Crayon overdrive. Is this a match made in heaven or some hellish concoction? Let's discuss.
Image result for ehx hot wax
It's Probably Not What You'd Expect

Unlike previous match ups, the two drive circuits share some functions. This means the two drives are not independent from one another. Unlike the Turnip Greens and Soul POG, this pedal shares tone controls and does not feature an effects loop. Were these cost cutting measures or lazy design? Maybe neither. Electro Harmonix is, if nothing else, a company that doesn't suppress creation. Does this mean that everything they make is a winner? Hardly. I imagine when something at EHX make Mike Matthews say, "That's cool." it gets produced. At least they aren't telling us that this is the latest and great, brand new, totally original design from EHX. They're honest. They told us that if these two pedal had a baby, then this is the result. It's not two pedals in the same box, it's a product of commingling,
Image result for ehx hot wax
It's Nothing New

I know we discussed how it was the product of two other pedals, but there is a problem whenever you have these situation. These two pedals, respectively, have been on the market a while. I checked out the Hot Tubes when I first noticed it a few years ago. I passed then. I was rather excited about the Crayon during its release, and it continues to be a go to pedal for me. It could be that these pedals sound great together, but that would only prompt me to buy a Hot Tube pedal to test that theory.
Image result for ehx hot wax
Rebranding

What EHX may be doing is branch out into larger, more complected drive pedals. Looking back at the catalog of EHX drive pedals, you'll notice their wasn't much that didn't have MUFF in the name. The popularity of their (for the lack of a better word) clone pedals is allowing them to move in a different direction. Let the Muff return to its fuzz roots and develop overdrive circuits that stand on their own. While most drive options have been compact, three-knob-jobs, the line needs more complete and capable gain stage options. Instead of reinventing the wheel, Eletro Harmonix married two existing circuits. Instead of blowing (cigar) smoke up our collective butts, they gave us the truth. Respect. But this could all just be EHX trying to flesh out there Drive pedals with a more diverse offering.

Conclusion

For me, I already own a Crayon, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to pick up this pedal. I would like to give a run through. For someone looking for a overdrive/boost or dual overdrive pedal, then this might be your thing. The Hot Tubes in my opinion does a fine job at being a mid/light gain, mid-humped overdrive. The Crayon is a good sounding, flexible overdrive. Put them together and what do you get? Magic? Gold? ... Hot Wax...



Support the blog by shopping on Amazon by using my link!


There should be an ad below:





3 comments:

  1. I share your skepticism about EHX and I don't like the clone pedals one bit, but I absolutely LOVE the Hot Tubes. As a mid to light overdrive it does just what I want - a chimey, pushed-amp in a box. I would not call it mid-humped at all, in fact it's quite the opposite, I find it to be more mid-scooped. The one thing I've been trying to figure out (researching mods) is how to get it to be less bassy without pushing the highs so much. Enter the Hot Wax with separate Bass & Treble controls. Plus, a clean blend? I almost can't believe it. I'm sold, just can't wait for it to come out. My board is dual purpose because I run both Bass and Guitar through it for different projects, so the two band EQ and clean blend should allow me to dial it in perfectly for any situation. I guess about the only other thing they could have done was a switch to swap the order, but whatever, the Crayon into the Hot Tubes is likely the better order anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hot wax pedal. I just got it. It is heaven. I agree. If I had one of the pedals being hot tubes or crayon. Wouldn't have a need for it. But since I don't. I do. It's pretty well everything I need.

    ReplyDelete