Monday, October 15, 2018

Ugly Guitar Truth: The Fender Pelt Fuzz Pedal

I've talked about Fender's current line of pedals on here before. Personally, I like the concept. It's probably the best offering from Fender effects that I've seen maybe ever.

Here's a story:

I bought a fender twin. It was brand new from the store. I loved the cleans. I was transitioning from metal player to whatever it is I am not, so at the time I thought this was a smaller (quieter) amp. I got the amp home and started messing around with all the knobs and whatnot. Hooked up the pedal and quickly realized that it didn't work. The amp switch had two or three buttons and it was completely DOA. So I take the rig back to the store and they swap the pedal out for a new one. This one had a bad switch in it. They couldn't find a pedal that actually worked. Does this have anything to do with the Fender Pelt Fuzz? No, not really, but it does give you a point of reference for my impression of Fender pedals. It didn't help that they released a line of pedals that looked more like accessories you would see on a desk of a middle-aged man that collects model cars and has a Fender Stratocaster mouse pad. Then we got direct from China mini pedals that weren't bad but they were what they were. So, I feel like you can hold my Fender pedal skepticism against me.

It's Fuzzy

Ok, duh, but let me explain. The world of Fuzz has exploded in the last few years. It has never really disappeared, but today we have more options for fuzz than ever before. I know that everyone first DIY pedal is a fuzz. They are very simple circuits to build, but recently we have seen the rise of complicated fuzz pedals. This one is no different. The granddaddy of all silicon fuzz, the Fuzzface, had only two knobs. Even the addition of two knobs was a technical marvel compared to the circuits origins. Now we have pedals like the Pelt. Not only do we have the familiar Volume, Tone, Gain knobs, but we get a Bloom knob and two switches for Mid (Contour) and Thick (Bass Boost Cut/Boost). The pedal has enough fuzz to nearly lose the guitar in the noise of the pedal. Fender also claims that the pedal responds well to rolling the volume down on your guitar. Fuzz pedals have a bad habit of cutting out or become more splatty when lowing volume is applied, but the Pelt is supposed to clean up. In my experience, the pedal doesn't clean up as much as it gets darker with lower volume. This may work relatively the same in a band situation. There may be no real way to get around how the circuit actually works.

It's Pretty

This may not be my favorite look that I've ever seen on a pedal, but it is far and away the best one that I've seen on a Fender pedal. It's not even much of a contest. These are the first pedal that I feel like they actually care anything about, so they had to give them an aesthetic that wasn't embarrassing to be seen with. The Amp jewel cover is a nice touch. I am a little worried about the magnetic battery door. It's begging to get crushed by a stray stomp, so be careful I guess. The backlit knobs are cool until you are on a dark stage and those lights are the only thing you can see and you can't tell you are changing the Tone or Gain knob. They pumped these pedals full of features, but this is basically Fender's first grown-up pedal line, so they still have refining to do.

Conclusion

I like this pedal. I haven't said a lot of great things about it, so you should know that this pedal is one of the better sounding fuzz pedals that I've seen come out lately. I'm a pretty big fan of the Big Muff style of Fuzz, but the Pelt is a robust pedal capable of being more than that one sound on that one song. Even though I really dig the Big Muff sound, do I have one on my board? No. The Pelt Fuzz is much more of a sonic tool that I could see actually using in a rig. The price is also something of importance. Lately, EHX has put out clones of the Big Muff in its many stages (Triangle, Russian, Silicon) and for the price of just two of those, you can have the Pelt. I may or may not own more than one of these pedals, and I may or may not wish I had the Pelt... just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment