Wednesday, April 21, 2010

This Might Get Loud

I know that a documentary isn't a piece of musical gear, but a film consisting of Jimmy Page (led zeppelin), The Edge (U2), Jack White (The White Stripes and whatever he did after the white stripes) should be of any guitarist interests in one way or another.

I know how you value my opinion so highly, so your dyeing to find out my thought on this film. Well, don't worry, I will tell you. Jimmy Page is no doubt one of the more legendary guitar players. The Edge is built up as a "sound architect". He uses a lot of pedals and sound gear. Thats interesting, but what's behind all that gear processing and changing his sound. Jack White is my main interest. He's turned the contemporary idea of what makes a great musician. on its head.

The film begins with Jack White at a dilapidated porch. There is a board, nails, and a coke bottle. Jack builds an instrument and plugs it into an amp, then plays a tune with a slide. This is amazing. The entire film is worth the watch for this scene. The film gives a look into the players philosophies on music. The looks at the gear these guys use is enough to make most players mouth's water.

I recommend this film to anyone who has a interest in the guitar or any of the band/musicians in the film. It gets a little dry at times but there are spots that are real gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment