Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Ugly Truth About EHX Crayon Overdrive

So EXH have done it again. They have birthed a new pedal that everyone (that pays attention to such things) is talking about. I noticed a post this morning about these colorful pedal. I first thought that it was something old catalog that hadn't seen the light of day in ages. It doesn't seem to really fit in with the modern aesthetic that EHX drive pedl have been given lately. It almost looks more at home with the Pitch Fork or Key Board modulators put out recently. Looks aside, this pedal has gotten my attention. It's is a low gain overdrive that adds 'color' to your sound. Whatever that means... Electro Harmonix released a promo video that makes it looks like the bee's knees, but given their long list of drive boxes, do we even needs this thing?

It Is A Light Overdrive

With a million klones out their, why do we need yet another light overdrive? The Klon is the end-all be-all right? Well, even with the relationship that the Soul Food pedal and Klon share, there are still those that tamper with the circut. I've considered having mine modded to add more bass with the JHS Meat and Potatoes mod. There is room for improvement. However JSH add a oddly placed knob on the side of the pedal. The layout of the pedal does not allow for it to be front facing. Is this an attempt to to capitalize on that trend without hindering the Soul Food's reputation and sales?

There Is Another Crayon

So remember when I called "crayon" a dumb name for a pedal? Well, looks like JHS disagrees with me too. Sure, pedals color our tone, but do we really want to name a pedal after a waxy, fagile relic of our childhood? Two major pedal manufactors do. I will admit, I like the designs that EHX have done for the Crayon. JHS has done a modern flat design that has always appealed to me. The two of these pedal coming out like this is almost uncanny, but they appear to be different enough to be unrelated. Will one maker bend and rename their box? Have we run out of good names to call these things? I do see a trend in EHX pedal names though. Glove, Food, River, Fork, Key... They are just looking around the room and naming things! 
"What should I name this pedal? Where did that crayon come from? Wait! That's it!" Honestly, look around the room you are in. If you look hard enough, you'll find a crayon... Somewhere. Please, people in  charge of naming these things, talk to the guy that names the Earthquaker Devices pedals. Get some tips. 

Im Going To Buy It

Yes, I have a problem. I own too many dirt pedals. The problem is that they are all so different (yet all the same). And for the most part, they are affordable. There is no pedal I enjoy more than a dirt pedal. I love them. I always like to see how they effect my tone. EHX has made them rather affordable and to me, that is a recipe for disaster. I've already hounded my local music store about getting one. When I inquired about the availability of the Crayon, my friendly pedal pusher asked me "How do you know about that?!" I make it my business to know these things. And I follow EHX on Twitter...

Want more on the Crayon? Check this out! 



5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JHS Colourbox -> crayon
    For me Jhs wins the name...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can't even compare the colourbox - which retails at about six times the cost of the crayon. also, i don't know if the colourbox is even aimed at filling od needs outside of what would happen driving a preamp.

      Delete
  3. Isn't this a copy or at least a close variation of the Xotic BB preamp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The BB is based on an old Marshall Bluesbreaker circuit. The Crayon is more a straightahead boost in the vein of the Coloursound Power Booster, which is what the silly name is likely referencing.

      Delete