Friday, April 8, 2016

Vox AV Series: Update

I first reported about these amps when Vox announced them back at NAMM this year. They Stood out because of there styling and features. They are analog, solid powered combos that look rather striking. The looks alone were enough to make me interested. I've been able to see one in action and I have to say that I'm am impressed. I was almost dismissive of the new line. I wasn't the biggest fan of the little modeling amps that came out recently. I was afraid that these guys were still coming from that prospective. This does not seem to be the case. These are something akin to the Super Champs that Fender put out. They replicate the front ends of other various amps, sans digital modeling.

Starting at just over $200 these amps are poised to be an excelent first amp, or a great step into valve-ish amps. If you need or want a variety of amp sounds but don't have the funds to buy half a dozen or more amps to make those sounds, then this amp could be an excellent fit. I liked the Super Champ amps and these seem to be in the same ballpark. In fact, I'd pick up one of these on the looks alone. The fact that these amps can emulate so many others and even the biggest one in the lineup comes in under $500 doesn't hurt either. Vox has put a lot of work into making great little amps. Even the the cabinet design is made to make you forget that (unless you have the 60 watt version) you aren't playing though a 12" speaker.

All in all. these amps are stacking up to be a step above what I was predicting. Kind of a foot-in-mouth moment, but I'm glad it is. The world need more great amps. This quite possibly, could be one. At least, it might be a good choice for many musicians.



Support the blog by shopping on Amazon by using my link!


There should be an ad below:





2 comments:

  1. I've been using an AV30 since 2016 and it's still kicking. It's been used at home, rehearsals and even gigs (indoor and outdoor). This little amp gets LOUD! I love it. Before that I used an AV50VT combo. I will take this AV30 over that. My back loves that it's lightweight. I hope Vox keeps this one around and/or even expands on it. Great amps, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like VOX is discontinuing the AV line. No longer being sold by Musicians Friend or Sweetwater.

    ReplyDelete