Saturday, November 4, 2017

Ugly Guitar Truth: JHS Russion Big Muff Moscow Mod

The JHS Chernobyl Moscow Mod for the EHX Russian Big Muff Overdrive was announced on the official JHS Instagram. And yes, the original name for the mod was Chernobyl, as in the massive nuclear disaster at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant. At first glance I thought that the name was metal AF, but then I thought about naming a product after a horrible tragedy and profiting off it. So I support the name change. Other than the name, there are some interesting things about the pedal. Why don't we take a look are what in the mod.


All The Hardware


Two switches and a knob are added in this mod. If you like your new Russian Big Muff, but want it a little bit heavier, then boy does JHS have a deal for you. All joking aside, reading the description of the mod of the JHS website, I'm not exactly impressed. Straight from the JHS site description: "Experiment with all the knobs to see what kind of sound you get." Wow, I'm surprised that they didn't include the detail, "This pedal makes sounds!" or just the word "GREEN". The description is just senselessly lazy.

It Does... Something

So, the description does mention "lower gain synth style gated fuzz sounds". Which makes me wonder what a lower gain-gated fuzz sound would sound like. Perhaps a "dying battery" effect, or a super saturated, compressed clipping section. IDK, sure wish the description could clear that up. Anyways, After my personal experience with a JHS modded Soul Food (I could hardly tell that there was any change in tone when changing the mod's 3 different modes) I'm not waiting in line to get this one done.


Is It Better?


There once was  a time with adding switches and knobs would make me believe that the modded pedal with new and improved. But I've come to learn that just because it is different/altered/modded doesn't mean that it is better. I like the Green Russian Big Muff. Do I really think that it needs a mod? No. Does the description tempt me into wanting it? Not even close. Are people going to get this mod even though it had barely been described in any way? Sure, just look at the comment section on their facebook or Instagram. I think I'll hold off.


Conclusion




I think I end my last paragraph with my conclusion. I don't think I want this mod in any shape or form. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't heard the pedal in question, but it was just announced so lets wait and see what it actually does. But we can all agree (probably) that their description needs some what...

4 comments:

  1. Why even quasi write a review if you haven’t even heard it.... This is nonsense. The ugly truth is you have nothing solid to base any opinion on this mod. Thanks for wasting my time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why even quasi write a review if you haven’t even heard it.... This is nonsense. The ugly truth is you have nothing solid to base any opinion on this mod. Thanks for wasting my time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s fricken awesome sounding and it goes waaayyyy harder than the stock pedal goes. I hardly play it with my single coil tele cuz single coils aren’t really meant to be fuzzed out too much IME. But it friggen kills with humbucker. Hell even my TT303 synthesizer sounds bitchen through it. Play the damn thing first before you whine about shit, man!

    ReplyDelete