Friday, November 3, 2017

Ugly Guitar Truth: TC Electronic Eyemaster Metal Distortion

So, today TC Electronics let us see what they were teasing us about recently. They gave us a full frontal view of 8 new pedals they are releasing. For the most part, these are very interesting. There is a push button chorus, fuzz, tremolo, auto swell, and noise gate. I've checked out all the available information about these pedals and they seem much like the affordable pedal that they released a few months ago. Where TC has done a great job so far, there seems to be a rotten egg in the bunch. If you read the title of the post you already know what I'm going to say. Let's take a look at the Eyemaster Metal Distortion.


Just... Wow

Ok, if there is one thing that I've learned about the state of big pedal developers releasing their pedal via social media, it is that they have everything optimized before launch. They show us glamour shots on Instagram and they post well produced demo videos on YouTube. That is what TC Electronic did for each one of their new pedals. Each pedal had a video that did no less that convince me to buy every single one. I probably won't, but when I watch those videos, I absolute knew that I needed to buy whatever it was. The final video that I watched was for the Eyemaster. Why did I watch it last? Because that was the order that YouTube gave it to me. Ok?! Just like the other videos we have "Pedal Jesus" tell us just how great this pedal is, and we have an impressive guitarist giving us a demo. Only, I'm not really understanding what I'm hearing. Everything sounds awful. There is a chugging riff and some talk about brutal death-metal. I enjoy a nice chuggy metal riff, but do not dig the sounds on this video. I checked out the comment section to make sure I wasn't crazy. What had been a sea of praise for the other pedal release along side this one, was now a list of complaints.

Simpler Than-Thou

So, I copy-pasted that from the TC website. This pedal has two knobs. That is completely fine. However, the sounds that were coming out of this pedal is not fine. I know that TC can produce a video with great sounding metal riffs (just check out the Mimiq Doubler pedal they have). So it leads me to believe that this pedal just isn't holding up. It sounds like the intro of a song that uses a lofi filter before restoring the low end frequencies and becoming something worth listening to. The sounds aren't brutal. They are thin, scooped, and fizzy. They are a number of HM-2 comparisons being made, but to me it sounds more like a MXR Prime Distortion. Whatever the actually heritage of this pedal, the video does not do much to make me want the thing. After doing some digging, there is a "sound" that the pedal seems to go for, but it "sounds" like a MT-2 at a horrific setting to me.


Who's To Blame?

Here's the deal. Tore (I think that's the guy's name) is kind of an odd dude. Odd in this case refers to the fact that he doesn't agree with me all the time. I don't particularly like most of the distortion/overdrives from TC. So I think there might be some ideological differences between me and the people making decisions at TC. This is all totally fine, but I don't seem to be the only one finding the Eyemaster a little hard to handle. Why does this pedal sound like this? Seems like the TC guys have a thing for distortions with this particular palate. Or, It could be Behringer/Music Group to blame. Many people accuse TC of reboxing Behringer pedals. So maybe it's due to the designs being out of TC's control and not up to their standards. TC makes top notch pedal in nearly every category. There are even fans of the drive pedals... go figure. Or possibly, The amps they were using just didn't like working with that particular pedal. If Tore is to be believed, it may have been too metal for that poor Bugera amp. According to the videos in this series of demos, the amps used were Bugera. In the video is question, there was a close up of a Marshal Plexi, but that amp wasn't even turned on (note the unilluminated status light). This may indicate the use of the Bugera Plexi clone. 


Conclusion



Does this pedal dish out brutal and raw metal tones inspired by classic Swedish death metal? honestly, it might, I'm not up on my classic Swedish death metal. However, I can really recommend this pedal. Very few people have had a chance to play this pedal since it has only just been announced, but for what I can tell, this one is a swing and a miss. TC Electronics does such a great job on nearly everything it sets out to do, but issuing a two knob metal distortion just seems... limited. Here's hoping that this pedal has some internal controls to tweak.

6 comments:

  1. Hopefully I can shed some light on this particular pedal and the confusion it may have caused. First, from the limited things I could hear, this pedal is not a swing and a miss so long as you know what it's trying to do. The name Eyemaster is a reference to the song Eyemaster by Swedish Death metal legends Entombed. The reason it sounds buzzy and Rat-like is because Entombed plugged Boss HM-2 pedals into their Marshall amps and banged out their sludgy C-tuned riffs. This pedal sounds very similar. I'm a classic rock, blues and metal guitar fan and I can tell you that the Wolverine Blues album from Entombed is a genre defining top 20 cd and a TC pedal called Eyemaster makes it much easier to cop those tones rather than sourcing an old Boss HM-2 or the $300 clones out there. I'm actually MOST excited about this particular unit. Bravo TC, bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing someone can write an entire blog like this without knowing the first thing about this pedals purpose. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, the tone was first brought to notoriety on entombeds first album " left hand path" and was also aped by other contemporaries of the time such as the bands " dismember" and " Carnage".
    The tone generated by this pedal ( quite accurately I might add) is also still employed by many new bands as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this pedal and think it is great. I have the MIJ HM-2 and the TC Electronics Eyemaster it comparable. It is all about the EQ which is maxed out and cannot be adjusted because there is no reason not to max the EQ. Max out the volume and gain, you are in Swedish Death Metal territory. The Eyemaster is a repackaged Behringer HM-300 which is a HM-2 clone. However, the Eyemaster is more rugged than the Behringer pedal and really not that much more expensive. The TC Eyemaster is a great deal for anyone looking for the Swedish Buzzsaw tone and does want to pay a few hundred for a used HM-2 in the second hand market.. I also just recently bought the TC Electronics Echobrain which another awesome pedal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also have this pedal, and no complaints from me, although I only have SS amps. Despite the pedal's EQ's being fixed internally, it sounds surprisingly tight with the right amp, check out how it sounds in this video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30heliUGqKw&t=158s

    Also, the Eyemaster works well as a boost pedal with the gain turned down, it gives a nice chainsaw flavor to the OD channel of my Marshall Valvestate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forthe price and almost close to the Swedish chainsaw effects its worth to twitter and experience with different combinations of your tone in conjunction with different flavors, just like a Gelato ice cream. 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete