Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Bad Monkey Mod


As far as I can tell the only modding that is really done to this pedal is switching out some capacitors for higher or lower value to effect the tone. I'm totally new at the whole modding ball game but this is what I've found out so far.

If you remove the Capacitor at C5 and replace it with one rated at .1uf then you can flatten the EQ of the pedal. Cutting the mid will give the pedal a transparent sound. If you want to cut the mids even more you can use a Cap with a rating of .15uf.

I pointed out the C5 Cap. It was a little of a wheres waldo. It is right between the knobs and the input jack.
Her are the solder points for C5. Not that hard to find, but its worth pointing out. Just under the knobs there.

There is also a mod for more bass. I'm not sure that this one is as popular as the mid-cut but I'll show it anyways in case you may want to add some bass to you Bad Monkey. Basicly you just follow the same routine. In this case you are changing the Cap at C11 with (again) a .1uf (or .15uf if you like) Cap and then you have bass boost. So Much Bass...

Pictures!

This one is much easier to find. Its basic the lowest thing on the right side.

Flip it over and there you go. The solder points. Pretty easy to find this time.
I haven't actually done this yet, but this is a common mod. You see this mod in the Humphrey Audio "badder monkey" on ebay for 100+ dollars. I bought mine a number of years ago for 40 From Musicians Friend. I't been kicked off the Pedal board because I don't need another "green" style OD when I have my Visual Sound Rout 66. But I may do the mod and use it for a boost or just as another color OD.

Like mods? Try one of these: Boss GE-7, Boss BD-2, Boss TR-2

1 comment: